Carrie Ruud is
working for you.
Representing our communities
Nothing is more important than serving the people I represent. I’m proud of my record of working across the aisle, building coalitions, and finding solutions.
- Secured funding for the Cyprus Drive roundabout connection in Baxter, which opened in 2019
- Passed additional funding to fight aquatic invasive species in area lakes and waterways
- Secured funding for expanded mountain bike trails at Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area
- Advocated for renovations and capital projects at Central Lakes College
- Ensured funding will continue for local soil and water conservation districts, which provide leadership in preserving our clean water and natural resources in nearly every county
- Passed legislation that designates June 29 as General John Vessey Day, remembering the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, four-star general, and resident of the Lake Mille Lacs area
- Passed legislation that lowers the the income tax on Social Security benefits as we work towards fully eliminating the tax
- Changed the law to allow Crow Wing County to consolidate services — and save taxpayers money
- Wrote and introduced ‘Stand Your Ground’ legislation in 2017 and 2019
- Shepherded the ‘Legacy bill’ in 2017 and 2019, allocating more than $1 billion to clean water, outdoor conservation, and cultural projects across the region and state
- Passed funding for the Mississippi Northwoods Trail bridge in Crow Wing County
- Co-authored the Minnesota Personal Protection Act, the state’s right-to-carry law
A strong business climate and an educated workforce will attract new development to our region and will allow existing businesses to grow and thrive here in Aitkin and Crow Wing counties. Investments in workforce training and development programs will make sure Minnesotans are able to compete for the jobs of tomorrow and cuts to property taxes and income taxes will allow small businesses to thrive.
Tourism accounts for more than ten percent of all jobs in Minnesota, highlighting the importance of tourism to our economy. I’m proud to have co-authored the legislation that created the Explore Minnesota Tourism Council, of which I’m also a member, and recognize their important accomplishments for our state.
I believe in protecting human life from conception until natural death. I believe that each individual is endowed by their creator with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, as our nation’s founders so eloquently stated. Unless that fundamental right to life is secured, all other rights are meaningless. I’m proud to be a co-author of the Women’s Right-to-Know legislation, which requires women be given basic factual information regarding their pregnancy before undergoing an abortion.
Supporting those who have served our country is something my family instilled in me — and I’m proud and honored to do so. My parents were both veterans of World War II; my dad served in the U.S. Army with General George S. Patton and my mother served with the American Red Cross in the European theater. My husband served in the U.S. Air Force and my brother is a retired colonel in the Army.
Our kids are our future. I’m proud to support responsible, sustainable investments in our public schools, along with innovative programs, public-private partnerships, and career and technical education programs that make sure all students are ready for life after high school. As a member of the Legislative Permanent School Fund Commission, I advise the state on the financial responsibility and management of the lands held in trust for Minnesota students — the value of which exceeds $1 billion.
There are more than 600 lakes and well over 100 miles of the Mighty Mississippi River in Senate District 10 — and making sure we are good stewards of our environment is absolutely essential to preserving our way of life. Agriculture, hunting, and fishing are vitally important to our area economy.
- American Conservative Union Award for Conservative Excellence (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019)
- Animal Humane Society Animal Advocate Award (2019)
- Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Club Certificate of Superior Community Advocacy (2018)
- Coalition of Greater Minnesota Cities Legislator of Distinction for Environment (2019, 2017)
- Community of Minnesota Resorts Legislative Excellence Award
- Greater Minnesota Parks & Trails Legislator of the Year (2018)
- League of Minnesota Cities Legislator of Distinction (2019, 2018, 2017)
- Minnesota Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts Legislator of the Year (2017)
- Minnesota Citizens for the Arts All Star Award (2017)
- Minnesota Nordic Ski Association Great Minnesota Ski Pass Bill Appreciation Award (2005)
- Minnesota Public Television ‘Good Neighbor Award’ (2019)
- Minnesota Tourism Growth Coalition Leadership Award (2017)
- National Foundation for Women Legislators Elected Women of Excellence Award (2014)
- NFIB ‘Guardian of Small Business’ Award (Since 2012)
- Parks & Trails Council of Minnesota ‘Legislator of Distinction’ Award (2016)
- The Headwaters Canoe Club Conservation Award
- The Nature Conservancy Government Relations Award (2017)
- Trust for Public Land Conservation Leadership Award (2015)
Did you know?
Carrie Ruud has gained a reputation for working across the aisle to get things done. During her time in the Minnesota Senate, Carrie has introduced more than 300 separate pieces of legislation — and during the past session, more than half of those bills had bipartisan support. Carrie has become known as a principled legislator that isn’t afraid to put party politics aside, build coalitions, and deliver results for the communities she represents.